Thursday, December 4, 2014

Nov. 25

Classwork

Today we paused our analysis of The Odyssey to have difficult conversations about the grand jury decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson on any of the charges related to the death of Michael Brown.  I decided to provide a space for my students to process the decision and for us as a class to talk about larger societal issues at hand.  To see the powerpoint that I put together to help guide our conversation, scroll to the bottom of the page.  Today was just the beginning of a difficult conversation, we reached no conclusions, nor did we find any easy solutions.  What we decided to do as a class was look at and talk about things in our society and country that aren't pretty and aren't easy to talk about.  I challenged each of my students to continue these conversations with others in their lives.

Homework

See Monday's post